n the villages of Pelion you will find very interesting museums. Here are the best of them:
The ART MUSEUM of sculptor Nicolas (in the first floor of the municipal building of Saint George Village)
The museum houses some of the most representative works of the great artist and sculptor Nicholas. Housed on the 1st floor of the municipal building in his hometown of St. George, Pelion.
There you can admire 22 bronze, for the most part, sculptures. All of them are full bodied, except one which is the bust of Christ. 9 of the 22 are of bigger than life size. Of special interest are also the engravings by Nicholas, 13 woodcuts, 1 copperplate and 16 medals. In two wooden display cases, visitors can see and inspect the work tools, drawings, prints patterns, as well as handwritten letters and personal belongings of the famous sculptor and engraver.
Agios Georgios Pelion, tel 24280-93100. Hours from 10:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 21:00 for the period from 1/7 to 15/9 daily, except Tuesday. From 15/9 to 30/5 every weekend and holidays. Admission free.
LOCAL MUSEUM OF MILIES, Pelion (in the first floor of the Town Hall building in MILIES)
Housed on the 1st floor of the Town Hall building in Milies village. The museum houses both folkloric and historical evidence of the cultural heritage of the village.
In the area there are big banners, with informative texts. There are also numerous photographs and carefully selected objects in order to provide the visitors with a more complete picture starting from ancient times, presenting the great historic moments of the village and the daily lives of residents.
Milies, Town Hall, tel 24230-86602. From 16 to 9 to 14 to 6 hours from 10:00 to 2:00 p.m. on weekdays and 10:00 to 5:00 p.m. at weekends and holidays from 15-6 to 15-9 hours from 10:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 21:00 on weekdays and 10:00 to 17:00 at weekends and holidays.
MUSEUM OF THEOFILOS (Anakasia VILLAGE, in Kontos house)
Kontos house in Anakasia village is one of the major modern monuments of the region, as it is the only surviving mansion in Pelion with a whole painting program. The painted decoration of the house started by the painter Theophilos Hajimichael in 1912 and it is divided into two zones.
In the lower zone he painted several motifs, including a large selection of potted flowers and birds, fountains, wild animals and hunting scenes. The upper zone contains 14 large paintings with themes from the Greek Revolution. In the narrow part of the lobby he painted four Gods of Mt. Olympus and on the wall of the first floor a large topography depicting Anakasia, Makrynitsa and Portaria villages.
Anakasia, tel 24210-47340 and 24210-49151. Hours 8:00 to 14:30 all year except weekends. Admission free.
MUSEUM OF FOLKLORE AND HISTORY OF Pelion (in MAKRINITSA at Topalis mansion)
The Museum of Folk Art and History of Pelion is housed in Topalis mansion, was built in 1844 and is located in the central area of Makrynitsa just below the square. This is a three-storey mansion, a representative sample of classical architecture of Pelion.
The museum has been operating since 1994 and today the folk art collection includes more than 1500 exhibits. Among them the visitor can admire a series of folk art paintings from 18th and the 19th century mansions in Pelion, a rich collection of photographs, ceramics and wooden household utensils, traditional costumes of the region, rugs and textiles, engravings, small folk art articles and important historical relics, such as the banner of the 1878 Revolution.